Advanced Idioms Test 6
0 of 12 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
|Table is loading|
|No data available|
IDIOMS – CHARACTER AND PERSONALITY
Choose the correct answer (A, B, C and D).
1. “behind the times” means …CorrectIncorrect
2. “a jack of all trades” means …CorrectIncorrect
3. “a fair weather friend” means …CorrectIncorrect
4. “a rolling stone” means …CorrectIncorrect
5. “keep oneself to oneself” means …CorrectIncorrect
6. “the salt of the earth” means …CorrectIncorrect
7. “dead wood” means …CorrectIncorrect
8. “a sitting duck” means …CorrectIncorrect
9. “a stick-in-the-mud” means …CorrectIncorrect
10. “not be cut out for sth” means …CorrectIncorrect
IDIOMS – COMPARING
Fill in the blanks with a word that will complete the idiom.
1) as different as c _ _ _ _ and cheese
2) to be in a l _ _ _ _ _ of one’s own
3) not fit to _ _ l _ a candle
4) to _ _ _ r a striking resemblance
5) to be on the same w_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
6) there is a _ o _ _ _ of difference between
7) to be a chip off the old _ _ _ k
8) to be head and s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ above
9) not to be a _ _ _ _ h on something
10) to p _ _ _ into significance
IDIOMS – CLOTHES
Complete the following sentences with the words from the box.
seams | socks | cap | shoestring | trousers | glove | boot | hat | shirt | collar
1) Hannah may give the impression that she wears the but it’s Michael who makes the final decisions.
2) I can always depend on my brother. Any time I need help, he’s there at the drop of a .
3) Since the hotel was bursting at the I spent the holiday at my uncle’s cottage.
4) We sometimes disagree with each other, and we both get a little hot under the .
5) Last month she crashed her car, then she lost her job and now to it all her husband has left her!
6) I’ve worked hand in with Gina for years, so at this point we’re familiar with each other’s strengths.
7) If we don’t pull our up and actually start working, then it could happen to us as well.
8) George was given the after just seven days of filming and replaced by Joseph Harrison.
9) We were living on a all the time he was enjoying himself down there.
10) It would have gone smoothly if you had been able to keep your on instead of trying to get in early.